Skip to main content

A little nostalgia to make you smile

A little while ago, I wrote about George Smith's book, "A Life Lived Outdoors." At the time, I had not finished the book.  Now that I have I want to share more of my thoughts.

If you love the outdoors and have hunting and fishing stories of your own, you will immediately connect with George and his retelling of those days in the woods.  There is an immediate smile that comes across your face as you read about camp and the sounds, smells and feel of being in a small building surrounded by the Maine North Woods.  I couldn't help but be jealous of George's ability to leave the hussle and bussle of  daily life to retreat to a place where the windows may need to be replaced but the fish bite, the moose are neighbors and the ability to read all of those books on your to-do list can actually happen.  Someday, I will have a place to call 'camp.'

A few stories are focused on just day to day living in rural Maine; the sadness that spreads across those of us who try to keep the woods/roads/streams clean as we view the trash left by those who think it's ok to chuck garbage out of their vehicle.  Spring is the worst time as the snow disappears and exposes bottles, fast food containers and junk left along the roadsides.  While I can relate, George's description of these items and those who left it behind is priceless and entertaining and had me smiling and nodding as I read along.  His writing about yard sales also had me smiling and wishing that I had been able to land that LL Bean screen house!  Having attempted to sell my stuff in a yard-sale, I sympathized with George as he watched everything else leave but the items on his table.  Sometimes our trash is not someone else's treasure.

I would have liked to have read more of George's stories about hunting and fishing but until the next book comes out, I will have to rely on his blog to keep me connected to the woods, lakes and the new laws dealing with both.  It probably would have been easy for George to fill a book twice it's size with stories and adventures from the hunting and fishing world and those dealing with his family.  As I begin to grow my family and figure out ways to get them outdoors, I hope that I can pass on my passion for hunting and fishing to them in the same ways that George has with his kids.

Any outdoors enthusiast should have this book on their bookshelf.  It will make you smile and fill you with nostalgia of those hunts and adventures of years ago.  Plus, when you find that story or two that makes you relax and dream of being in the middle of nowehere, you can always go back and reread the story!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Turkeys to Texas

There are a few less turkeys in Maine to hunt this year. A few months ago, Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife in partnership with the National Wild Turkey Federation , captured and released more than 50 birds into East Texas with the hope of rebuilding their population.   “Eastern turkeys are where the restocking efforts originally began,” explained Shawn Roberts, Director of Field Operations for the National Wild Turkey Federation, “We tried in the 1920’s but it didn’t work.  We tried pen-raised birds and that didn’t work either. The only thing that was successful was to trap birds and relocate them to good habitat.” “We started this current effort in the early ‘80s and we had to begin looking outside the state to see if we could get them moved in. We didn’t want to violate The Lacey Act so we had to come up with a way to compensate the states that were giving up a resource either by trading other wildlife or paying them monetarily,” said Roberts. Texas is on the very edge o

Utilizing technology to make you more aware

Staci and I were roaming around the woods on a piece of property that she knew. It was snowing and we were chasing deer tracks to see if we could find some early sheds. It was a perfect day to be out in the woods and we were relaxed and not really paying attention to where we were going. We knew the border of the property and we knew that if we walked long enough we would hit roads or the bog and find our way back. We got to a point where we thought we knew where we were but we were not sure. Staci got out her compass to take a waypoint to make sure we were going in the right direction to get back to the truck. I took out my phone and turned on OnX. Within seconds we knew where we were, where the property borders were in relation to us and we could watch the dot (that represented us) on the map move as we walked out of the woods and got closer to the truck. In another adventure, my son and I headed out on a shed hunting mission.  When we got into the woods, I turned on the tracker

Where are the women?

This week, my interview with Steve at The Maine Outdoorsman went live. Steve said yesterday 200 people hit his site viewing over 500 pages. That is a lot of people reading about little ole me and hunting. Why? When I think of women who are in the general public's eye and hunt, I can think of 2 - Country singer Miranda Lambert and Sarah Palin. Why only two? Why is the female hunter such a fascinating thing? (I should probably note that I do not have cable so any and all female hunters on the hunting stations are lost to me. I'll keep it to the general public because that's what I am familiar with.) People/media were fascinated by the fact that they could get footage of Palin and her gun, shooting (and gutting) animals but I feel like the nostalgia would be lost if they had the same footage of McCain. Lambert and her hubby Blake Shelton tweet photos of their kills, and comment on what/where they are hunting. I only know this because I follow both. That's it.