Skip to main content

Looking for sheds

It was cold, but the sun was out and Dad, Hubby and I were eager to go into the woods to look at where T3 will be set up, bring in a couple of tree stands and I wanted to look for sheds.

The recent dusting of snow helped to see any new deer tracks.  It also helped to see the main trails and activity of the deer herd.  There were a lot of spots that looked like this.  The deer have been on an acorn frenzy and since there is not a lot of snow, they can still paw at the ground and leaves to find them. 
Deer paw for acorns buried along the leaves and snow.
I tracked a couple of deer from the Sky Condo as we made our way to my treeseat where I shot my deer this year.  It is always amazing and kind of frustrating to see how close the deer are around you and yet, you don't see them during the season.  But, it is also good to see that there are SO many deer around where we hunt. 

Some of the trails amazed me.  They were like super highways through the woods.  I had really hoped that somewhere along these trails, I would find a shed.  Even one shed.  I didn't.  I am not sure if I am not going deep enough into the woods, picking the wrong trails to follow or if these deer just haven't dropped too many antlers yet.
Deer trail
Up hills, down through blowdowns and along the stream, I followed random tracks and highways through the woods.  Dad stayed behind to start trimming out the shooting lanes for T3.  I found five recent deer beds all within viewing distance of where Dad was.  There are two spots that the deer use to cross the nearby stream and one of them was headed directly towards where T3 will be facing.  Ideally, when we sit in this new spot, we will be in the middle of a very busy corridor along the stream.

After Dad was done with the chainsaw, we grabbed the treeseat and headed back to the truck.  If we could have, we would have stayed out a lot longer.  There is something refreshing about being in the woods and the smell of those fresh cut softwoods. 
Heading out of the woods
Dad and Hubby carrying one of the two tree stands we brought in.

We are planning on a two day build for T3.  Dad is working on the sides and platform and we will go back and spend the weekend helping to put it in place.  There are a TON of deer around us and it will be a lot of fun to see what happens come November.  As much as I love snow, the lack of it is helping the deer find and eat plenty of food without worrying about their calorie burn.  Hopefully come November, our healthy deer herd will have benefits for our freezer!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Turkeys to Texas

There are a few less turkeys in Maine to hunt this year. A few months ago, Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife in partnership with the National Wild Turkey Federation , captured and released more than 50 birds into East Texas with the hope of rebuilding their population.   “Eastern turkeys are where the restocking efforts originally began,” explained Shawn Roberts, Director of Field Operations for the National Wild Turkey Federation, “We tried in the 1920’s but it didn’t work.  We tried pen-raised birds and that didn’t work either. The only thing that was successful was to trap birds and relocate them to good habitat.” “We started this current effort in the early ‘80s and we had to begin looking outside the state to see if we could get them moved in. We didn’t want to violate The Lacey Act so we had to come up with a way to compensate the states that were giving up a resource either by trading other wildlife or paying them monetarily,” said Roberts. Texas is on the very edge o

Utilizing technology to make you more aware

Staci and I were roaming around the woods on a piece of property that she knew. It was snowing and we were chasing deer tracks to see if we could find some early sheds. It was a perfect day to be out in the woods and we were relaxed and not really paying attention to where we were going. We knew the border of the property and we knew that if we walked long enough we would hit roads or the bog and find our way back. We got to a point where we thought we knew where we were but we were not sure. Staci got out her compass to take a waypoint to make sure we were going in the right direction to get back to the truck. I took out my phone and turned on OnX. Within seconds we knew where we were, where the property borders were in relation to us and we could watch the dot (that represented us) on the map move as we walked out of the woods and got closer to the truck. In another adventure, my son and I headed out on a shed hunting mission.  When we got into the woods, I turned on the tracker

Where are the women?

This week, my interview with Steve at The Maine Outdoorsman went live. Steve said yesterday 200 people hit his site viewing over 500 pages. That is a lot of people reading about little ole me and hunting. Why? When I think of women who are in the general public's eye and hunt, I can think of 2 - Country singer Miranda Lambert and Sarah Palin. Why only two? Why is the female hunter such a fascinating thing? (I should probably note that I do not have cable so any and all female hunters on the hunting stations are lost to me. I'll keep it to the general public because that's what I am familiar with.) People/media were fascinated by the fact that they could get footage of Palin and her gun, shooting (and gutting) animals but I feel like the nostalgia would be lost if they had the same footage of McCain. Lambert and her hubby Blake Shelton tweet photos of their kills, and comment on what/where they are hunting. I only know this because I follow both. That's it.