Skip to main content

More fishing adventures

Staci and I headed out again for our second fishing adventure!

For the second time, the water levels where we wanted to go were too high so we headed to my hometown to try our lines in the river.

The Kennebec River
The Kennebec River
It was fantastic to be fishing there since I had never done it but I quickly learned that my lures were way too heavy for the water and the grass and slim covering the rocks.  I would get caught on every two or three casts while Staci was using a fly rod and was able to cast out and relax for a few minutes before casting again.

We walked about a mile down the river closer to town and tried again to get a bite.  Seeing town from this angle was great! And the weather was perfect. My lure sunk worst at this spot then the first one and I only cast a few times before I reeled in my line and walked over to watch Staci.

The Kennebec River

The Kennebec Rive

Soon, we decided that we needed lunch and to try a third spot.  One where my lures may work a little better. 

Down a dirt road, we found this little stream. Staci's family had fished there and taken some nice fish so we figured why not?! I think I still have some mosquito bites from walking down there but it was worth it.  


We flushed a couple of birds that will be on Monday's blog (great pictures! you will want to check these out) and battled poison ivy but we made our way to a well worn spot on the bank and started casting with crawlers on our hooks.  I caught a few trees, including this white birch which I landed on at least twice.

There was a fish jumping at eating flies below the tree, so I tried and tried to land my hook in the right spot to get a bite.  Once, I could see a fish following the crawler but I never had a bite.  Staci and I swapped placed and it was her turn to try (that and I knew she could cast better and may be able to get him.)  I was right!

It didn't take her long and she had a bite, set the hook and had dinner ready in her hand!

A beautiful, native brook trout
The brookie was 10 inches long - the same size as my fish earlier in the season! Success.

Our afternoon was over and as much as we didn't want to leave, we could feel good about catching something.  Next time, it's my turn to catch something.

I was also able to realize how much I need to get a fly rod.  Having the ability to float lures over rocks and around obstacles instead of frantically reeling in so as to not get stuck was a big factor in overall success and the lack of stress Staci had since she didn't have to get her line unstuck. I am adding that to my wish list.


Comments

  1. Darn tootin' you need a fly rod! It's the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And fly fishing is so addicting! I'll bring both of mine so we can both use a fly rod. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erin,
    Very nice and excellent writing you shared here on More fishing adventures. I read and enjoyed much. Your writing quality is very nice. Your choice is also fantastic as you attached some nice pictures. Thanks a lot for nice article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Turkeys to Texas

There are a few less turkeys in Maine to hunt this year. A few months ago, Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife in partnership with the National Wild Turkey Federation , captured and released more than 50 birds into East Texas with the hope of rebuilding their population.   “Eastern turkeys are where the restocking efforts originally began,” explained Shawn Roberts, Director of Field Operations for the National Wild Turkey Federation, “We tried in the 1920’s but it didn’t work.  We tried pen-raised birds and that didn’t work either. The only thing that was successful was to trap birds and relocate them to good habitat.” “We started this current effort in the early ‘80s and we had to begin looking outside the state to see if we could get them moved in. We didn’t want to violate The Lacey Act so we had to come up with a way to compensate the states that were giving up a resource either by trading other wildlife or paying them monetarily,” said Roberts. Texas is on the very edge o

Utilizing technology to make you more aware

Staci and I were roaming around the woods on a piece of property that she knew. It was snowing and we were chasing deer tracks to see if we could find some early sheds. It was a perfect day to be out in the woods and we were relaxed and not really paying attention to where we were going. We knew the border of the property and we knew that if we walked long enough we would hit roads or the bog and find our way back. We got to a point where we thought we knew where we were but we were not sure. Staci got out her compass to take a waypoint to make sure we were going in the right direction to get back to the truck. I took out my phone and turned on OnX. Within seconds we knew where we were, where the property borders were in relation to us and we could watch the dot (that represented us) on the map move as we walked out of the woods and got closer to the truck. In another adventure, my son and I headed out on a shed hunting mission.  When we got into the woods, I turned on the tracker

Where are the women?

This week, my interview with Steve at The Maine Outdoorsman went live. Steve said yesterday 200 people hit his site viewing over 500 pages. That is a lot of people reading about little ole me and hunting. Why? When I think of women who are in the general public's eye and hunt, I can think of 2 - Country singer Miranda Lambert and Sarah Palin. Why only two? Why is the female hunter such a fascinating thing? (I should probably note that I do not have cable so any and all female hunters on the hunting stations are lost to me. I'll keep it to the general public because that's what I am familiar with.) People/media were fascinated by the fact that they could get footage of Palin and her gun, shooting (and gutting) animals but I feel like the nostalgia would be lost if they had the same footage of McCain. Lambert and her hubby Blake Shelton tweet photos of their kills, and comment on what/where they are hunting. I only know this because I follow both. That's it.