Skip to main content

Lorri's grand slam

Some women have the type of attitude that lets you know that they can and will accomplish anything that they set their mind to.  Lorri Nelson is one of those women...


There is a shock factor that comes when you shoot the last animal needed for your grand slam. After years of hard work, learning to hunt each animal and a little luck, Lorri Nelson accomplished her grand slam when the cow moose dropped to the ground. “It was only four hours into the hunt,” Lorri said, “We didn’t bring the trailer or 4-wheeler because it was rattling so bad and we didn’t want to spook anything.” They had done some scouting ahead of time and were now looking for a cow moose in Zone 6. “I saw her entire body move in the woods as we drove past a strip of woods. But I couldn’t tell if it was a bull or cow,” Lorri continued, “Charlie and I got out and started zig zagging back to see if we could tell for sure if it was a cow. He confirmed that it was a cow and I shot.” Adrenaline kicked in and Lorri had to calm herself as she got closer. “I saw her hunch up when I shot but she didn’t drop. I had to shoot her again.” It didn’t kick in at first that she had just accomplished her grand slam but soon, the realization caught up to her and she was elated. Lorri had been putting in long hours in order to give her the best opportunities possible to accomplish this goal. 

I met Lorri when the bear referendum was in full force and we worked to prove that hunters -
specifically bear hunters - existed in and around Portland. She was willing to work hard and do whatever she had to in order to punch that tag.  At one point, that meant dumping a disgusting bag of lobster shells into a hanging bait bucket.  I gaged the whole time. But Lorri was determined to work hard and get the job done.

This past season, Lorri had one week to bear hunt before she took herself on a long overdue vacation. “I knew that time was limited,” she said, “I had a big bear coming in on my trail camera and I really wanted him, but when this bear came in at 3pm on opening day… I just couldn’t let him pass.” From her tree stand, she checked off the first box of her grand slam.

Next, it was turkey time. Lorri hadn’t gotten a spring turkey and was worried about a fall turkey being in the cards. But, she had a great location and spent hours in the blind to get as many
opportunities as she could. “There were a few of them nearby and I really wanted the big tom but I shot the tom closest to me” She laughed. Box number two got checked off. “When I tagged the turkey, the woman at the store commented that I shouldn’t have any problem getting a deer out of that same location. I told her to wish me luck and I started bow hunting the next day.” It had been more than four years since Lorri had tagged a deer and she had never taken one with her bow. She had expanded permits and a doe tag in her pocket so she was ready for any deer that she could get a shot at. “I had the doe come in and as she was quartering away, I launched an arrow into her. It hit her lungs and that was it.” Lorri was in shock, “It is the first kill that I have had with my bow and I did it as a part of my grand slam. I was pretty pumped.”

By the middle of October, Lorri had checked off three out of the four boxes for her grand slam.
With her successful moose hunt, she accomplished something that most hunters have on their
bucket list. “I still can’t believe it” she said.

And like most outdoor women I know, when one item gets checked off the bucket list, two more
get added. “I am going to start coyote trapping,” she explained, “I have four traps and found
someone to help me get started.” Go get ‘em Lorri!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Turkeys to Texas

There are a few less turkeys in Maine to hunt this year. A few months ago, Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife in partnership with the National Wild Turkey Federation , captured and released more than 50 birds into East Texas with the hope of rebuilding their population.   “Eastern turkeys are where the restocking efforts originally began,” explained Shawn Roberts, Director of Field Operations for the National Wild Turkey Federation, “We tried in the 1920’s but it didn’t work.  We tried pen-raised birds and that didn’t work either. The only thing that was successful was to trap birds and relocate them to good habitat.” “We started this current effort in the early ‘80s and we had to begin looking outside the state to see if we could get them moved in. We didn’t want to violate The Lacey Act so we had to come up with a way to compensate the states that were giving up a resource either by trading other wildlife or paying them monetarily,” said Roberts. Texas is on the very edge o

Utilizing technology to make you more aware

Staci and I were roaming around the woods on a piece of property that she knew. It was snowing and we were chasing deer tracks to see if we could find some early sheds. It was a perfect day to be out in the woods and we were relaxed and not really paying attention to where we were going. We knew the border of the property and we knew that if we walked long enough we would hit roads or the bog and find our way back. We got to a point where we thought we knew where we were but we were not sure. Staci got out her compass to take a waypoint to make sure we were going in the right direction to get back to the truck. I took out my phone and turned on OnX. Within seconds we knew where we were, where the property borders were in relation to us and we could watch the dot (that represented us) on the map move as we walked out of the woods and got closer to the truck. In another adventure, my son and I headed out on a shed hunting mission.  When we got into the woods, I turned on the tracker

Where are the women?

This week, my interview with Steve at The Maine Outdoorsman went live. Steve said yesterday 200 people hit his site viewing over 500 pages. That is a lot of people reading about little ole me and hunting. Why? When I think of women who are in the general public's eye and hunt, I can think of 2 - Country singer Miranda Lambert and Sarah Palin. Why only two? Why is the female hunter such a fascinating thing? (I should probably note that I do not have cable so any and all female hunters on the hunting stations are lost to me. I'll keep it to the general public because that's what I am familiar with.) People/media were fascinated by the fact that they could get footage of Palin and her gun, shooting (and gutting) animals but I feel like the nostalgia would be lost if they had the same footage of McCain. Lambert and her hubby Blake Shelton tweet photos of their kills, and comment on what/where they are hunting. I only know this because I follow both. That's it.