Skip to main content

Getting Nostalgic

It's October and its my favorite time of year. Apples, cider, colder temps, sweaters, NO bugs or snakes (although I found 3 skins in the wood pile I was bringing in yesterday *shutters*). I love fall. I love winter. I love looking at my red and black checkered wool jacket and knowing its almost time to throw it on. And I love hunting with Dad. Last year, after we tagged our buck, I followed Dad to his room. Im sure I was rambling about something. Dad got into his bedstand and took out a memopad piece of paper. It was maybe 3x5. One piece. On it, he had a record of deer he had shot. The first entry was exactly one year before I was born. There was the entry that has the 115lb spikehorn I shot with a note that said E's first deer. Dad got his first deer when he was 12 so not every deer has been categorized on this tiny slip of paper. For all I know, there is a collection of memopad paper somewhere in my parents room with the long, long list of deer. But it was really cool to see what this piece and what he had shot, how big it was, the date and what the weather was like. With 17 days til we can (hopefully) add that 10 pointer to the list... I can't help but find myself getting more and more excited for what will be written next. Do you folks keep a record of what you get?

Comments

  1. I have always kept a record in some fashion or the other. I now use my blog to record successful hunts and go back and re-read them often. It is a great way to relive a great memory. Good luck with the ten point!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So much to celebrate - let's give away stuff!

As you know from my last post, this month I am celebrating the one year anniversary of this blog, 10 years of hunting with my Dad and a milestone birthday. In honor of all three, I want to give away some great Maine stuff to all of you! Rules: 1. Leave a comment 2. On Oct 28 (my big bday), Dad will pick a number and the corresponding post will win. What will you win? A big basket of great Maine and outdoor things! Such as: fly fishing flies, blueberry something, Maine maple syrup, apple butter (to be made by me on Tuesday), something related to deer hunting and a couple of great books signed by local authors. (Pictures will be posted when I am back at a computer). So thank you for your support and for helping my celebrate such a great month!!

Where are the women?

This week, my interview with Steve at The Maine Outdoorsman went live. Steve said yesterday 200 people hit his site viewing over 500 pages. That is a lot of people reading about little ole me and hunting. Why? When I think of women who are in the general public's eye and hunt, I can think of 2 - Country singer Miranda Lambert and Sarah Palin. Why only two? Why is the female hunter such a fascinating thing? (I should probably note that I do not have cable so any and all female hunters on the hunting stations are lost to me. I'll keep it to the general public because that's what I am familiar with.) People/media were fascinated by the fact that they could get footage of Palin and her gun, shooting (and gutting) animals but I feel like the nostalgia would be lost if they had the same footage of McCain. Lambert and her hubby Blake Shelton tweet photos of their kills, and comment on what/where they are hunting. I only know this because I follow both. That's it.

So much for respectable stand placement

Dad has hunted on the land that houses the Sky Condo for the better part of his life. About six years ago, we built the SC and started hunting there full time.   At that time, there were no other hunters near by.  A few years ago, a hunter bought a bordering piece of property, re-did the old camp that was there and brought his buddies along.  We haven't had a lot of incidents with them (trespassing last year, putting pink ribbon on my tree seat and lying to us when we asked them what they shot - a search through the list at the tagging station said an 8-point buck).  Two years ago, Dad bought a piece of land that is separated from the Sky Condo property by a powerline and a driveway that is privately owned by our hunting neighbor.  The land was bought in May and once October came, our neighbor put a treestand up along the edge of the powerline, facing our new piece of property and right next to our traveling path.  We were cautious from that point on, making sure we were not se